Guesstimate for Google Product Management Interview [Google Product Interview Experience]

Photo by Volkan Olmez on Unsplash

1. Number of Queries answered by Google per second?

Interviewer: Estimate the number of search query answered by Google per second ?

Shailesh: Okay Before I jump onto the solution, I have some questions which I want to get clarified. When we are estimating the number of search query, are we also taking care about search query for Gmail, Youtube, Google Maps or is it for Google search only?
Interviewer: For now you can focus only on the Google search.

Shailesh: Are we estimating the search query from a particular device like mobile or desktop or total number of search queries?
Interviewer: Across all the devices.

Shailesh: Are we focusing on a particular geography or globally ?
Interviewer: Globally.

Shailesh: Alright! let me iterate the goal of the problem. We want to estimate the number of search query per second answered by the Google search across all the devices globally.
Interviewer: Perfect

Shailesh: Okay let me give the overall structure of how would I approach the problem.

Overall Formula for the Problem
Formula
  • Global Population ~ 7.5 Billion, Internet penetration ~ 70% and Google market share is around ~80%.
  • Since people can’t use Google in China and some countries like Russia where Google isn’t very popular. So I would want to take account that as well. Total population which we can eliminate ~ 1.5 Billion
  • I would like to use 80–20 rule. The 80% of the google search will come by top 20% of the Users. I think myself to be in the top 20 percentile, on an average I do around 15–20 google search per day.

So keeping this into account, we can calculate the Total number of Google search queries.

Calculations

~ 140,000 Google search queries per second

2. Estimate the bandwidth consumed by Youtube Daily?

Interviewer: Estimate the bandwidth consumed by Youtube Daily.

Shailesh: Okay! Before I answer the question, I have some questions which I want to get clarified. My first question is are we talking about specific geography or global consumption?
Interviewer: Globally

Shailesh: Do we want to calculate the bandwidth for specific device like Desktop or Mobile?
Interviewer: Across all the platform.

Shailesh: Videos on Youtube can be played with 240p, 480p 720p etc. So are we going to calculate the bandwidth for any specific category or across all the categories?
Interviewer: Across all the categories

Shailesh: Let me reiterate the Goal of the problem, We want to calculate the Total bandwidth consumed by Youtube per day across all the platform globally?
Interviewer: Perfect.

Shailesh: Okay let me give the overall structure of the solution

  • Global Population ~ 7.5 Billion and Youtube is blocked in China (~1.5B), so we will calculate the total number of potential users to whom Youtube is available.
  • I am assuming that kids and senior citizens don’t use Youtube, so I will take the 60% as the number who watches Youtube to the total Population to whom Youtube is available.
  • We will divide the country in 3 categories like Developed countries (20%) having 100% internet penetration, Developing countries (50%) having 70% internet penetration and Under developed countries(30%) having 25% internet penetration. From this I will calculate the total video consumption.

Bandwidth calculations for Developed countries

Bandwidth calculations for Developing countries

Bandwidth calculations for Underdeveloped countries

~ Total Bandwidth Consumed = 1800 petabyte

-TechnoManagers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guesstimates for Product Interviews, Tips to ask clarification Questions

System Design Concepts for Product Managers — Part 1

Design Uber for Kids. [Product Management Interview Question]